We always sell AHA memberships at a discount,$40, to our customers but purchase and activate a membership this month and you will receive a free copy of American Sour Beers! This book is a $20 value and you get all that comes with an AHA membership like discounts and a years subscription to Zymurgy magazine.
As always, we are continuing to add products to our inventory. If there is something you would like us to carry, please tell us. We will do all we can to get it and keep it stocked. Here’s what’s new lately:
1 gallon all-grain kits from Brooklyn Brewshop. These kits include grains and hops. Depending on your setup you may need a muslin bag for the grains and/or hops. Instructions can be printed from their website. We will print them for you if you would like, just let us know. Available kits include Chestnut Brown Ale, Warrior IPA, Everyday IPA, Chocolate Maple Porter, Jalapeno Saison, Oatmeal Stout, Afternoon Wheat, Summer Wheat and Grapefruit Honey Ale. $15 each
We now have hop pellets in 1 pound bags. So far, we have Citra, Mosaic and Smaragd(Emerald) in stock and we will be adding more shortly. See Hopunions website for descriptions of each: http://www.hopunion.com/hop-varieties/ As of now, Hopunion’s website has an error that ask for a login. Just click cancel and use their site as usual. Of course, we still have 75+ hop pellets varieties in 1 oz pack, 13 one-ounce leaf varieties and 6 one-pound leaf varieties.
You asked for Maris Otter extract and we got it. Muntons LME is a perfect base for any English or American style beer. Adds a rich malty profile. 3.3 lb can is just $13.99.
These have October and November production dates. They are good to use, just make a starter(which I would suggest with most new packs as well). Descriptions of each strain can be found on Wyeast’s site: Wyeast
Available strains as of 4/12/15 are: 1007, 1010, 1028, 1098, 1469, 2007, 2565, 3056, 3068, 3711 3724, 3787, 3944
We will be selling off our entire gardening inventory and focusing on home brewing and wine making for the foreseeable future. The more you spend, the more you save:
Spend $100, get 10% off
Spend $200, get 20% off
Spend $300, get 30% off
We will still do special orders for gardening supplies.
The roads were bad, everyone had off from work and your kids didn’t go to school so we were closed. We decided to brew a clone of Blanche de Bruxelles. Here’s the recipe:
5 lbs. 1.8 oz Pilsner Malt
4 lbs. 4.8 oz Flaked Wheat
1 lb 1.3 oz. Flaked Oats
4.3 oz Munich Malt
0.75 oz Hallertau @ 60 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade leaf hops @ 5 minutes
1.5 oz. lemon zest @ 5 minutes
1.0 oz. coriander @ 5 minutes
Wyeast Forbidden Fruit 3463
Using BIAB we mashed for 90 minutes. Our target OG was 1.52, we hit 1.048.
During our 90 minute mash we prepped our ingredients. First up, we crushed the coriander. This can be done in a grain mill but a bag and a rolling pin work just as well. You want to crack the shell, not pulverize it into a dust. Next, we zested about 2 lemons to yield 1.5 oz of zest. We went ahead and weighed out our cascade and german hallertau hops.
This is a fairly simple brew but anytime you use fresh fruit or spices it can be a challenge to balance the flavors. We’ll keep you updated as to how it turns out.
Just in is the FastFerment conical fermenter. FastFerment is made by FastRack right here in America and it is an affordable way to get all the benefits of a conical fermenter. The FastFerment lets you harvest yeast as well as remove trub which eliminates the need to rack to a secondary fermentation vessel. The FastFerment includes the conical fermenter with lid, airlock, ball valve, yeast collection ball, thermowell and wall mounts. Optional equipment includes the floor stand, thermometer, extra collection ball and carrying strap. Conical fermenter capacity is 7.9 gallons. Check out this video: https://www.thefastrack.ca/main/fastferment
Also pictured, from left to right, is the 15.8 gallon and the 7.9 gallon Speidel fermenters.
This month Homecrafted has added 11 new hop pellet varieties!
- Hallertau: Traditionally a superior German aroma hop. Excellent flavor. Mild to semi-strong aroma, versatile bittering and finishing. Used for Wheats, Altbiers, Pilsners, Belgian Ales, American and German Lagers. Alpha acid: 2.7%, Beta Acid: 3.8%
- Polaris: Intense floral and pleasant mint tones. Alpha Acid: 18.8% Beta Acid: 4.5-6.0%
- Herkules: Spicy, floral and hop notes with hints of pine, black pepper and melon. Alpha Acid: 17.3% Beta Acid: 5.6%
- Perle: Bred at the Hull Hop Research Institute from the English Northern Brewer variety. Used for Pale Ales, Porters, Lagers. Alpha Acid: 7.5% Beta Acid: 4.9%
- Galaxy: The Australian hop variety Galaxy is a high alpha dual purpose seedless cultivar with a marked and unique hop aroma. Galaxy, when added late in the boil, has been found to impart a unique and pleasant flavor to beer. The striking flavor has been described as a combination of citrus and passionfruit, whilst still contributing significant bittering. Alpha Acid: 13.7% Beta Acid: 5.0-6.9%
- Topaz: Very high alpha acid content. Good for IPA and other high alpha beers. Alpha Acid: 16.5%Beta Acid: 6.5%
- Wakatu: Distinct floral, slight citrus/lime. Use in Lagers, Pilsners, Bitters, Ales, Bocks. Alpha Acid: 7.1% Beta Acid: 8.5%
- Motueka: Lemon, lime, tropical fruit. Use in Belgian and English Ales, Pilsners. Alpha Acid: 6.6% Beta Acid: 5.0-5.5%
- Strisselspalt: Very fine spicy, herbal, floral, lemon and fruit characteristics. Alpha Acid: 1.2% Beta Acid: 5.1%
- Challenger: Cedar, green tea and sweet floral characteristics. Alpha Acid: 8.9% Beta Acid: 3.7%
- Santiam: Slightly spicy with herbal and floral characteristics. Alpha Acid: 7.2% Beta Acid: 7.4%
brew supplies, homebrew, beer, hops, home brew, brewing, beer kit, hop pellets
Check out our flood table special! Kit includes :
20 gallon Active Aqua
2’x4′ Active Aqua flood table
600W HPS ballast
600W HPS bulb
Xtrasun 6 high-intensity, air cooled reflector
Regular retail price is $463. On special now for just $350!
Depending on your application, we have ebb and flow as well as drip kits available.